A brilliantly accessible introduction to core topics in English language and linguistics. My students loved it.’
David Adger, Queen Mary, University of London, UK
‘Entertaining, clear and informative. David Crystal’s lectures demystify and enrich the English language for students of all levels.’
Sylvia Shaw, Middlesex University, UK
‘A well-delivered and well-structured bird’s-eye introduction to all areas of the study of language. Crystal’s discussion of issues like dialect and bilingualism will interest many and hopefully promote a rational and reasoned stance towards language.’
Klaus Abels, University College London, UK
David Crystal brings linguistics alive in these specially recorded lectures.
Six 30-minute lectures, each divided into two parts for flexibility of use in lectures and virtual learning environments, cover all the key topics in an introductory English-language/linguistics course, under the headings:
- Language, Communication & Pragmatics
- The Structure of Language – semantics and grammar
- The Mode of Transmission – speech and writing
- Language in Use: Temporal Variation
- Language in Use – regional, social and personal variation
- Language & Discourse
This is an essential resource for all beginning students of English language, linguistics and English as a second language.
The companion website at www.routledge.com/davidcrystal includes substantial supporting material:
- bonus extra clips from the lectures
- a synopsis of lecture content
- a linguistic and cultural commentary with time codes so users can select points of interest
- a glossary of linguistic terms, with flashcards for self-testing
- suggestions for activities, follow-up work and further reading
- multiple-choice questions to test knowledge of the content of the lectures
- an index of linguistic terms with time codes to locate them in use on the DVD.
David Crystal has been a freelance writer, lecturer and broadcaster since 1984. Based in Holyhead, Crystal is Honorary Professor at Bangor University, UK. He is author of numerous books, including Internet Linguistics (2011), Just a Phrase I’m Going Through: My Life in Language (2009) and The Future of Language DVD (2009), all Routledge.