Written in a friendly, no-nonsense, style, Children in Intensive Care is a quick reference guide to the management of the acutely ill child in the hospital, or pre-hospital, setting.
Fully updated throughout and rich with useful ‘Alert’ boxes and tables – to make learning and reference easy – this handy publication covers a broad range of essential topics such as drug dosages and compatibilities and normal reference ranges as well as harder to find information such as chest X-ray interpretation and troubleshooting technical equipment.
Compiled from daily ‘on the job’ collation of useful facts and figures, this manual also offers practical advice about important non-acute issues such as infection control, common childhood diseases and child protection as well as new findings on the management of sepsis, the collapsed child and care of the child following spinal surgery.
With over 10,000 copies sold, this book is an absolute must for any clinician involved with the management of critically ill children, whether it be on the wards, in theatres, high-dependency or intensive care units, as well as during retrieval and in A&E.
- Information presented in quick reference format, with accompanying reference tables, to facilitate on-the-spot usage
- Advanced Life Support Group algorithms provide safe and easy-to-follow protocols to the management of emergency situations
- Contains input from a broad range of paediatric specialists – intensivists, anaesthetists, haematologists, oncologists, air ambulance physicians and retrieval nurses, pharmacists, specialist dieticians, and respiratory physiotherapists – to ensure full coverage and accuracy of information
- Contains helpful ‘Quick Guide’ and ‘Warning’ boxes to provide key information at a glance, while helpful mnemonics assist with learning
- Contains chapters on normal child development, safe-guarding children and young people, and patient transport
- Perfect for use on the wards, theatres, high-dependency units and intensive care units as well as during retrieval and A&E
- Ideal for newcomers and experienced staff alike, whether they be junior doctors or nursing staff
- Additional authorship brings the expertise of Marilyn McDougall, a Senior Paediatric Intensive Care Consultant
- Contains brand new chapters – oncology emergencies and pain & sedation – as well as the latest information on topics including sepsis and the collapsed neonate, and care of children after spinal surgery
- Comprehensively expanded cardiac chapter presents new surgical approaches as well as practical tips on pacing, care of chest drains and basic echocardiograph terminology
- Drug chapter now includes reversal agents, new drug profiles and an updated compatibilities chart
- Expanded artwork program explains clinical concepts and practical procedures